Member profile – from those in attendance
5 - have no bees
10 - first season
6 - two – three years
4 - more than three years
What should the club be doing?
- Sharing good practice and general knowledge
- Problem solving
- Buy, swap, sell equipment – what is safe to get 2nd hand, pitfalls, necessities
- Practical small group workshop days – extraction, setting up/making frames, wasp trap making, etc
- Mentoring in small groups or individually between new and experienced members
- Social and sharing activities
- Excursions – perhaps to local members who have several hives and lots of experience?
- Events – Stringybark Festival October 17th and 18th , Community Space at Knox for World honey bee day August 15th
- Sale of honey – requirements, safety, extraction conditions, registration, labelling, etc
- August meeting – setting up, swarms, honey competition, possibly guest speaker re plants
- September meeting – requirements for selling honey, more on setting up
- October – pests and making wasp traps
- November – meeting plus a Saturday local excursion to members hives?
- Beginners workshop in mid August for new members wishing to set up hives this season
- Purchase additional extraction kit equipment for club use – knife, capping tray, etc
- Try and source new tins and wire for wasp trap workshops – Leanne to follow up
- Leanne to contact Knox and Yarra Ranges Councils to let them know to contact CCH re swarms in local properties.
Information for members
www.facebook.com/groups/443769289111519 or search for CoonaraBeekeepingClub in Facebook and apply to join our closed group